Microsoft 55240 - Writing Reports with Report Designer and SSRS Level 3
About this course
Please use this link to access Course # 552040 for dates as part of Boot Camp, or call for more information
55204 Writing Reports with Report Designer and SSRS Level 1 (2 days) Monday/Tuesday (Use this link to access Course 55204)
55170 Writing Reports with Report Designer and SSRS Level 2 (2 days) Wednesday/Thursday (Use this link to access Course 55170)
55240 Writing Reports with Report Designer and SSRS Level 3 (1 day) Friday
In this 1-day course, students will continue their learning on report writing with Microsoft® SQL Server® Report Designer and SSRS. The focus of this course is enhancing custom report visualizations and the use of Visual Basic programming in SSRS reporting. Supporting Visual Basic programming in reports is a normal requirement in today’s reporting landscape and this course presents the information you will need through the course content, group discussions, worksheets, practices, demonstrations, and lab activities. Report Designer is available for all supported versions of Microsoft SQL Server.
The primary audience for this course are persons experienced with Report Designer and SSRS. The secondary audience for this course are experienced Report Designer (SSRS) report authors. Course participants may be business analysts, programmer analysts, data analysts, database administrators, or IT professionals.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Use shapes to create enhanced custom report visualizations.
- Understand the use of Visual Basic programming in SSRS reports.
- Use and support Visual Basic code in the SSRS reporting effort.
Module 1: Creating Enhanced Visualizations
This module introduces report formatting techniques which create enhanced visualizations using shapes, rectangles, images, and data regions. To support customized and enhanced reporting visualizations, this course requires a review of specific properties which support the control of displayed items in a report.
- The Importance of Shapes in Reporting
- Enhanced Visualizations Using the Rectangle
- Control the Display of Report Items
- Creating Tiles in a Tablix
Lab: Creating Enhanced Visualizations
Module 2: Visual Basic
This module introduces the Microsoft Visual Basic programming language. The goal of this module is to make the programming language and its use meaningful to non-programmers. This module uses the course handbook, group discussions, worksheets, and reviews to not only introduce Visual Basic programming, but to also to understand what the code is doing.
- The Visual Basic Programming Language
- Visual Basic Language Components
- Decision Structures and Procedures
Lab : Working with Visual Basic
Module 3: Using Visual Basic in SSRS Reporting
Report writers can take advantage of the Visual Basic language in three different ways in the Report Designer application. Whether the Visual Basic programming language was incorporated by design or inherited through existing reports, report writers need to be aware of how the features can be applied to achieve the reporting goal. Visual Basic is the required language for Report Designer.
- Visual Basic in SSRS Reports
- Calling Visual Basic code from the Report
- Using External Visual Basic code in a Report
Lab : Using Visual Basic in Reports
This course requires that you meet the following prerequisites:
- Familiarity with Windows.
- Creating and navigating folders.
- Opening programs.
- Manipulating windows.
- Copying and pasting objects.
- Formatting text.
- Saving files.
- Microsoft® Office Access 2013: Level 1 or have equivalent experience with basic database concepts.
- Course 55204: Writing Reports with Report Designer and SSRS Level 1
- Course 55170: Writing Reports with Report Designer and SSRS Level 2
*NOTE: if an average rating and rating count are shown on this page, they are based on all reviews associated with Dynamics Edge that are shown on the review page, and are not restricted to reviews only for the particular course offered on this page.