This five-day instructor-led course teaches students how to design and implement a BI infrastructure. The course discusses design, installation. The course discusses design, installation, and maintenance of a BI platform.
This course maps to skills and knowledge measured by Microsoft Exam 70-467, and in conjunction with on-the-job experience, can help prepare you for the exam
Who Should Attend
This course is intended for BI professionals such as BI Architects or database professionals who need to design BI solutions. BI Architects are responsible for the overall design of the BI infrastructure, including how it relates to other data systems in use. In addition, their responsibilities include Online Analytical Processing (OLAP) cube design and integration with Microsoft SharePoint or line-of-business applications.
What You'll Learn
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Plan the components of a BI solution.
- Plan a BI infrastructure.
- Design a data warehouse.
- Design an ETL solution.
- Plan analytical data models.
- Plan a BI delivery solution.
- Design a Reporting Services solution.
- Design an Excel reporting solution.
- Plan a SharePoint Server BI solution.
- Monitor and optimize a BI solution.
- Plan for BI operations.
Module 1: Planning a BI Solution
This module discusses how to plan the components of a BI solution.
- Elements of a BI Solution
- The Microsoft BI Platform
- Planning a BI Project
Lab : Planning a BI Solution
Module 2: Planning SQL Server Business Intelligence Infrastructure
This module explains how to plan an appropriate BI infrastructure for a given set of BI services.
- Considerations for BI Infrastructure
- Planning Data Warehouse Hardware
Lab : Planning a BI Infrastructure
Module 3: Designing a Data Warehouse
This module explains how to design a data warehouse for a given set of user requirements.
- Data Warehouse Design Overview
- Designing Dimension Tables
- Designing Fact Tables
- Designing a Data Warehouse Physical Implementation
Lab : Designing a Data Warehouse Logical Schema
Lab : Designing a Data Warehouse Physical Implementation
Module 4: Designing an ETL Solution
This module explains how to design an ETL solution for a data warehouse.
- ETL Overview
- Planning Data Extraction
- Planning Data Transformation
- Planning Data Loads
Lab : Designing an ETL Solution
Module 5: Designing Analytical Data Models
This module explains how to design analytical data models for specific BI scenarios.
- Introduction to Analytical Data Models
- Designing an Analytical Data Model
- Designing Dimensions
- Enhancing Data Models
Lab : Comparing Analytical Data Models
Lab : Designing Dimensions and Hierarchies
Lab : Enhancing Analytical Data Models
Module 6: Planning a BI Delivery Solution
This module explains how to choose an appropriate delivery solution for a given scenario.
- Considerations for Delivering BI
- Common Reporting Scenarios
- Choosing a Reporting Tool
Lab : Planning a BI Delivery Solution
Module 7: Designing a Reporting Services Solution
This module explains how to design a Reporting Services solution.
- Planning a Reporting Services Solution
- Designing Reports
- Planning Report Consistency
Lab : Designing a Reporting Services Solution
Module 8: Designing a Microsoft Excel-Based Reporting Solution
This module explains how to design a reporting solution that uses Excel.
- Using Excel for Data Analysis and Reporting
- PowerPivot for Excel
- Power View for Excel
Lab : Designing an Excel Reporting Solution
Module 9: Planning a SharePoint Server BI Solution
This module explains how to design a SharePoint BI solution.
- Introduction to SharePoint Server as a BI Platform
- Planning Security for a SharePoint Server BI Solution
- Planning Reporting Services Configuration
- Planning PowerPivot Configuration
- Planning for PerformancePoint Services
Lab : Implementing a SharePoint Server BI Solution
Lab : Implementing a PerformancePoint Services
Module 10: Monitoring and Optimizing a BI Solution
This module explains how to monitor and optimize a BI solution.
- Overview of BI Monitoring
- Monitoring and Optimizing the Data Warehouse
- Monitoring and Optimizing Analysis Services
- Monitoring and Optimizing Reporting Services
Lab : Monitoring and Optimizing a BI Solution
Module 11: Operating a BI Solution
This module explains how to plan management and maintenance operations for a BI solution.
- Overview of BI Operations
- ETL Operations
- Data Warehouse Operations
- Analysis Services Operations
- Reporting Services Operations
Lab: Operating a BI Solution
- Before attending this course, students must have:
- A basic understanding of dimensional modeling (star schema) for data warehouses.
- The ability to create Integration Services packages that include control flows and data flows.
- The ability to create a basic multidimensional cube with Analysis Services.
- The ability to create a basic tabular model with PowerPivot and Analysis Services.
- The ability to create Reporting Services reports with Report Designer.
- The ability to implement authentication and permissions in the SQL Server database engine, Analysis Services, and Reporting Services.
- Familiarity with SharePoint Server and Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel.
Students who attend this training can meet the prerequisites by attending the following courses, or obtaining equivalent knowledge and skills:
- 20463: Implementing a Data Warehouse with Microsoft SQL Server 2014
- 20466: Implementing Data Models and Reports with Microsoft SQL Server 2014
Revised April 2016
Dynamics Edge may need to gather more information about your SQL Server custom training needs in Saint Joseph, Missouri . Please call Dynamics Edge at (800) 453-5961 or e-mail Dynamics Edge at email@example.com with your custom on-site request.
Please contact us for a list of our Saint Joseph, Missouri locations.