Got a team or group of 5 or more people? We have special options for you, such as in-person training at your site, or special group pricing for Live Virtual training. Click or tap the button below to request a special quote for your group now!Request Group Quote
Price: $2995, Length: 5 days
Planning and Administering SharePoint 2016 (20339-1)
This Course is SATV Eligible†
About this course
This five-day course will provide you with the knowledge and skills to plan and administer a Microsoft SharePoint 2016 environment. The course teaches you how to deploy, administer, and troubleshoot your SharePoint environment. This course also provides guidelines, best practices, and considerations that help you optimize your SharePoint deployment.
This is the first in a sequence of two courses for IT professionals and is aligned with the SharePoint 2016 IT Pro certification.
Who should attend:
The course is targeted at experienced IT professionals who are interested in learning how to install, configure, deploy, and manage SharePoint 2016 installations either in a data center or in the cloud.
Students typically have more than one year of hands-on experience* with planning and maintaining SharePoint and two years’ experience with other core technologies on which SharePoint depends, including Windows Server 2012 R2 or later, Internet Information Services (IIS), Microsoft SQL Server 2014 or later, Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS), and networking infrastructure services.
The minimally qualified candidate typically:
Is an IT professional who plans, implements, and maintains a multi-server deployment of SharePoint 2016.
Has a working knowledge of, and preferably hands-on experience, with SharePoint Online.
Has broad familiarity with SharePoint workloads.
Has experience with business continuity management, including data backup, restoration, and high availability.
Has experience with authentication and security technologies.
Has experience with Windows PowerShell.
The hands-on experience or job experience should be from a solutions-based role where the candidate has worked on multiple solutions in the SharePoint space that includes document management, content management, and search.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the key features of SharePoint 2016.
- Design an information architecture for a SharePoint 2016 deployment.
- Design a logical architecture for a SharePoint 2016 deployment.
- Design the physical architecture for a SharePoint 2016 deployment.
- Install and configure SharePoint 2016.
- Create and configure web applications and site collections.
- Plan and configure service applications for a SharePoint 2016 deployment.
- Manage users and permissions, and secure content in a SharePoint 2016 deployment.
- Configure authentication in a SharePoint 2016 deployment.
- Configure platform and farm-level security in a SharePoint 2016 deployment.
- Manage information taxonomy in SharePoint web applications and site collections.
- Configure and manage user profiles and audiences.
- Configure and manage the search experience in SharePoint 2016.
- Monitor, maintain, and troubleshoot a SharePoint 2016 deployment.
Module 1: Introducing SharePoint 2016
This module describes the structure and capabilities of a SharePoint environment, and the major changes for IT professionals in SharePoint 2016. This module also describes the options available for deploying SharePoint 2016.
- The key components of a SharePoint deployment
- New features in SharePoint 2016
- SharePoint 2016 deployment options
- After completing this module, students will be able to:
- Describe the structure and capabilities of a SharePoint environment.
- Describe the major changes for IT professionals in SharePoint 2016.
- Describe the options available for deploying SharePoint 2016.
Lab : none
Module 2: Designing an information architecture
This module describes how to gather business requirements, and the key elements of a successful information architecture project. This module also explains how to structure information within a SharePoint 2016 deployment and make it easy to find and retrieve.
- Identifying business requirements
- Understanding business requirements for information architecture
- Organizing information in SharePoint 2016
- Planning for discoverability
Lab : Designing an information architecture - Part one, Identifying site columns, content types, and term sets
Lab : Creating an information architecture - Part two, Designing keywords, synonyms, promoted results, thesaurus, and managed properties, Designing a taxonomy
Module 3: Designing a logical architecture
This module explains how to approach a logical architecture design and how to document it.
- Overview of a SharePoint 2016 logical architecture
- Documenting your logical architecture
Lab : Designing a logical architecture
Module 4: Designing a physical architecture
This module describes the physical design requirements for SharePoint 2016, and the physical components necessary to fulfill the physical architecture design. It also explains the SharePoint farm topologies, and describes how to map a logical architecture design to a physical architecture design.
- Designing the physical requirements of a SharePoint deployment
- Designing supporting software for the physical components of a SharePoint deployment
- SharePoint farm topologies
- Mapping a logical architecture design to a physical architecture design
Lab : Designing a physical architecture, Designing a physical architecture, Developing a physical architecture design diagram
Module 5: Installing and configuring SharePoint 2016
This module explains how to install SharePoint 2016 in different topologies, script the installation, and configure a SharePoint 2016 environment. This module also explains how to configure the core farm-level settings in a SharePoint 2016 deployment.
- Installing SharePoint 2016
- Scripting the installation and configuring a SharePoint 2016 environment
- Configuring SharePoint 2016 farm settings
Lab : Provisioning SharePoint 2016, Provisioning a SharePoint 2016 server farm
Lab : Configuring SharePoint 2016, Configuring incoming email, Configuring outgoing email, Configuring integration with Microsoft Office Web Apps Server 2016
Module 6: Creating web applications and site collections
This module explains how to create web applications in SharePoint 2016 and how to configure these applications. It also explains how to create and configure site collections in SharePoint 2016 and SharePoint Online.
- Creating web applications
- Configuring web applications
- Creating and configuring site collections
Lab : Creating and configuring web applications
Lab : Creating and configuring site collections
Module 7: Planning and configuring service applications
This module describes the service application architecture in SharePoint 2016, and how to provision and manage service applications.
- Introduction to the service application architecture
- Creating and configuring service applications
Lab : Configuring services and service applications, Provisioning a managed metadata service application with Central Administration, Provisioning a managed metadata service application with Windows PowerShell, Configuring service applications for document conversions. Configuring service application proxy groups
Module 8: Managing users, permissions, and securing content
This module explains how to configure authorization in SharePoint 2016. It also explains how to configure site collection security in SharePoint 2016.
- Configuring authorization in SharePoint 2016
- Managing access to content
Lab : Managing users and groups, Creating a web application policy
Lab : Securing content in SharePoint 2016, Managing permissions and inheritance, Managing site collection security, Enabling anonymous access to a site
Module 9: Configuring authentication for SharePoint 2016
This module explains about the SharePoint 2016 authentication infrastructure, and how to configure claims, providers, and identity federation for SharePoint 2016. It also explains how to configure server-to-server authentication for SharePoint 2016.
- Overview of authentication
- Configuring federated authentication
- Configuring server-to-server authentication
Lab : Configuring SharePoint 2016 to use federated identities, Configuring Active Directory Federation Services (AD FS) to make a web application a relying party,Configuring SharePoint to trust AD FS as an identity provider
Module 10: Securing a SharePoint 2016 deployment
This module explains how to secure a SharePoint 2016 deployment at the platform level, and how to configure farm-level security settings for a SharePoint 2016 deployment.
- Securing the platform
- Configuring farm-level security
Lab : Configuring SharePoint 2016 communication security, Configuring SharePoint and Microsoft SQL Server to communicate over nonstandard ports, Hardening a SharePoint server farm
Lab : Configuring farm-level security, Configuring blocked file types,Configuring web part security, Implementing security auditing
Module 11: Managing taxonomy
This module explains how to create and manage content types and content-type propagation. Additionally, it explains how to implement managed metadata in SharePoint web applications and site collections. It also explains how to configure the managed metadata service application in SharePoint 2016.
- Managing content types
- Understanding managed metadata
- Configuring the managed metadata service
Lab : Configuring content-type propagation
Lab : Configuring and using the managed metadata service
Module 12: Configuring user profiles
This module explains how to configure the User Profile service application, and how to manage user profiles and audiences.
- Configuring the User Profile service application
- Managing user profiles and audiences
Lab : Configuring user profiles
Lab : Configuring and managing user profiles
Module 13: Configuring Enterprise Search
This module describes the Search service architecture, and explains how to configure the Search service in SharePoint 2016. It also explains how to manage the search experience in SharePoint 2016.
- Understanding the Search service architecture
- Configuring the Search service
- Managing Enterprise Search
Lab : Configuring Enterprise Search, Creating a Search Center
Lab : Optimizing the search experience
Module 14: Monitoring and maintaining a SharePoint 2016 environment
This module explains how to implement a monitoring plan for SharePoint 2016, and how to optimize the performance of a SharePoint 2016 deployment. It also explains how to plan for and configure SharePoint caching. Further, it explains how to identify and resolve problems in a SharePoint 2016 environment.
- Monitoring a SharePoint environment
- Tuning and optimizing a SharePoint environment
- Planning and configuring caching
- Troubleshooting a SharePoint environment
Lab : Monitoring a SharePoint 2016 deployment, Reviewing usage and health data
Lab : Investigating page load times, Analyzing SharePoint page performance
- Before attending this course, students must have knowledge of:
- Software management in a Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2 enterprise server environment.
- Deploying and managing applications natively, virtually, and in the cloud.
- Administering IIS.
- Configuring AD DS for use in authentication, authorization, and as a user store.
- Managing an application remotely by using Windows PowerShell 4.0.
- Managing databases and server roles in SQL Server.
- Connecting applications to SQL Server.
- Implementing claims-based security.
Using Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machines.
An ideal candidate for this course must have at least one year of experience with deploying and administering multiple SharePoint 2013 farms across a large enterprise. Because many customers have not upgraded from SharePoint 2010, a candidate can also have at least two years of experience with SharePoint 2010. However, they also must understand the differences between SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint 2013, particularly in terms of hybridization.
*NOTE: if an average rating and rating count are shown on this page, they are based on all reviews associated with Dynamics Edge that are shown on the review page, and are not restricted to reviews only for the particular course offered on this page.
†SATV eligibility changes frequently and varies based on a set of criteria that changes often. Any courses on this page that are claimed to be SATV eligible are subject to manual review on a case-by-case basis - if any course is found upon manual review to not be SATV eligible for any reason, then SATV vouchers cannot be applied to the course.