Microsoft Cloud Workshop: IoT for Business
This Course is SATV Eligible†
Use the unique benefits of Internet of Things (IoT) to build a smart city solution to help improve traffic and public transportation in New York City. Use a combination of the power of the cloud, along with IoT Edge devices to provide predictive maintenance of city buses, including machine learning for anomaly detection, location broadcasting to update bus route status, and to send traffic information to help inform the timing of traffic lights. Traffic lights will also receive new IoT devices that can help detect maintenance and performance issues, such as when a bulb is out. Easily view all of this information through a centralized reporting dashboard provided by Azure Time Series Insights.
This workshop is intended for Cloud Architects and IT professionals who have architectural expertise of infrastructure and solutions design in cloud technologies and want to learn more about Azure and Azure services as described in the ‘About this Course’ and ‘At Course Completion’ areas. Those attending this workshop should also be experienced in other non-Microsoft cloud technologies, meet the course prerequisites, and want to cross-train on Azure.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Use Azure IoT Edge to collect vehicle telemetry data, detect anomalies with the help of a local Azure Machine Learning model, and send the summarized data to Azure IoT Hub as needed
- Use IoT Hub to manage IoT devices
- Use Azure Time Series Insights to store, visualize, and query the large amounts of time series data generated by various IoT devices, as well as conduct root-cause analysis and anomaly detection
- Build a customer application on top of Time Series Insights, using its available REST Query APIs
- Use Azure Location Based Services to visualize bus location data on a map
Module 1: Whiteboard Design Session - IoT for business
- Review the customer case study
- Call to action: Design a proof of concept solution
- Call to action: Present the solution
Module 2: Hands-on Lab - IoT for business
- Azure data, storage, and serverless environment setup
- Provision additional Azure services
- Create bus and traffic light simulated devices, and add alerts and filters
- Create IoT Edge device and custom modules
- Run a console app to view critical engine alerts from the Service Bus Queue
- Create Azure Function App to ingest critical engine alerts and store them in Cosmos DB
- View all data in Azure Time Series Insights
- Workshop content presumes 300-level of architectural expertise of infrastructure and solutions design. We suggest students take this prerequisite prior to attending this workshop.
- Microsoft Azure Essentials course, http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/azureessentials.
*NOTE: if an average rating and rating count are shown on this page, they are based on all reviews associated with Dynamics Edge that are shown on the review page, and are not restricted to reviews only for the particular course offered on this page.
†SATV eligibility changes frequently and varies based on a set of criteria that changes often. Any courses on this page that are claimed to be SATV eligible are subject to manual review on a case-by-case basis - if any course is found upon manual review to not be SATV eligible for any reason, then SATV vouchers cannot be applied to the course.